Question : Problem: Will not charge

My computer shows low battery at 6%. Will work when plugged in but it will not charge the battery, which remains at 6%, does not increase or decrease its charge. I can use it when plugged without a problem, but if plugged without the battery it will not power up. This is a few month old machine, so I know it is not a battery problem. The strange part is that the machine does not show that its charging on LED or on the icon on the notification, but the battery holds a constant charge. I wondered if this a mobo power supply, but I cannot explain why it works if the power supply is plugged in only if the battery is in, at the same time it does not charge. I have not callled Dell yet, I  would like to get someone's opinion first, since I am worried that they may say its the mobo power supply and that I damaged it.

Answer : Problem: Will not charge

A laptop battery is not just a battery pack.
There is a logic board inside the battery that interfaces with the laptop to control and monitor the charging and condition of the battery.
You can have perfectly good cells in the battery but the logic board in the pack is  fubar and it won't let the cells charge - or it won't properly report the condition of the battery to the laptop so the laptop won't send a charge.
[This would mean replace the battery.]

That logic board interfaces with one in the charging circuit inside the laptop.
Problems with that circuit can result in the same problems as the other.
[This generally means a motherboard replacement although some (not most) laptops have this circuit on a daughter board that can be replaced without replacing the main board.]

Both of these circuits have controls built into the BIOS code.
Sometimes (although not often) a BIOS update can fix these problems.

If this laptop is under warranty you should contact Dell.

~~

Just FYI, future reference:
LI batteries go bad in 2 to 4 years even if you never use them.
It's a function of their chemistry.
They do NOT have a memory affect like NiMH batteries but discharging them too far is considered bad for them.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us