Question : Problem: No Sound on Vaio Laptop after clean XP install.

After installing Windows XP Pro on Sony Vaio VGN-FS640/W - 'clean install', and following all Sony's instructions on installaing drivers in specific order (bios, chipset... etc.) i still get no sound and in "Device Manager" there's just generic audio drivers such as "Legacy Audio Drivers", not the one that this model actually has on "Drivers Download" page which is "Realtek High definiction audio device driver". If i try to install that "Realtech High def." driver over and over, it seems like it's installing and everything's fine, but there's still no sound and no speaker at the right bottom corner. I have Vaio just like this one, and it has audio working fine, it has that Realtech High Def. drivers installed and working ok.

I already tried re-installing windows to follow Sony's driver installation order, but that didn't help. Also, i know there's sound b/c it makes sound at BIOS (while showing VAIO logo). Seems like BIOS doesn't have anything that deals with audio.

Please help. My last option would be to order a Sony Recovery CD which hopefully has all the drivers. :/

Answer : Problem: No Sound on Vaio Laptop after clean XP install.

Have you done your windows updates as well?
There is a Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver I remember having to install on newer laptops before it would even find some high def audio.
For some reason I remember getting it off IBM myself (Yup even for Sony laptops as it was just an microsoft fix) but if you've not done your microsoft updates it's a good place to start.

Heres one I'm refering to.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

Terry
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us