Question : Problem: GeForce 7900 GT HD (component) to HDTV not working, no display on TV.  Ideas?

Trying to run PC to TV.  Have GeForce 7900 GT OC 256 with an HD out and component video dongle.  I have the component cables seated well (I've checked 10 times), I still get no display on my TV.  TV is Westinghouse Digital (had decent reviews plus the "open box special was too good to turn down".   It does have VGA input so maybe it has something to do with that but I feel sure it's getting a signal becuase, just before it say "No Signal" is says "incompatible signal".  Basically trying to run PC in den to be able to display in bedroom  and cheaper than buying a dedicated system.  (For of you who know I'm building an HTPC, I'm thinking it would make a great Father's day present for dear old Dad, and keep me out of trouble with the wife).  So If I can get this to work, I'm in business.  I don't think it has anything to do with the splitters I've used but I'm not ruling it out.  The reason I say I doubt it is that I also have my HD Satellite Signal out and DVD out split to run to HDTV in Den and projector on porch.  Both work just fine.  Maybe it has something to do with the PC signal or the card.  I've done all I can think of.  Gone to Display settings, it shows both my PC monitor and then a "default monitor", the "force TV" box is not highlighted so I can't check it to force the detection.  Display settings acts like it recognizes it because it allows me to attach it and decide if I want dual-view or clone, adjust resolution etc....  Any ideas on what to check?  I'll run an extended USB cable into bedroom to use with Gyro mouse and keyboard for controls.  Already have usb extended out to powered hub on porch for use with wireless game devices.  Of course I can bring that up either.  I've got another 7900 GT that is not installed right now because all it did was cause more heat and didn't help the performance of the applications I run.  And my young kids don't use any high end graphics games (yet).  Would reinstalling the second card (not in SLI) be a better solution?  One for PC and one for TV/Projector out?   (One other comment for anyone thinking I should be using DVI to HDMI, it may come to that but really don't want to spend that money when the component cables should do the job fine).  Any ideas?  The quicker the solution the better, with 5 kids and wife who rolls her eyes every time I work on a project like this, I need to get it done quickly.  No problem right- quick and cheap.  

link to TV http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8256601&st=westinghouse%2C+hdtv&type=product&id=1169512772303

Answer : Problem: GeForce 7900 GT HD (component) to HDTV not working, no display on TV.  Ideas?

USB is only spec'd for a 5 meter cable (a bit over 16 feet).   To reliably run cables longer there are two options:

(1)  Use an active extension cable ... this will have a buffered electronic repeater that allows the USB signal to extend beyond the specifications.   These work well, but are realistically only useful if one or two extensions provides the length you need.   An example:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812116123   Note that there are less expensive active extenders on Newegg, but they are only USB v1.1 whereas this one is USB 2.0

(2)  Use a USB extender hub ... these devices have a Master and a Remote unit that communicate via Cat-5 cable; and allow you to extend your USB signals for very long runs (hundreds of feet).   Here's an inexpensive set that works up to 150 feet:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101157

As for your display resolution issue ... have you tried PowerStrip??  [http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm ]

By the way, 50' is VERY long for a VGA cable.   Typically these cables should not exceed 10 meters without some amplification, but you CAN get high quality cables that claim they'll work to 100' ==> and if your cable is working okay at 50', then it's fine [Using too long a cable doesn't "hurt" anything except signal quality ... so if your picture's okay, then your cable's okay].

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us