Question : Problem: Explaination of audio ports on my computer

My custom built gaming system has full set of 7.1 audio ports on the back. Attached is a picture of the back of the motherboard and the various connectors it has.

I have a 5.1 home theatre system that used to be connected to by DVD player. It consists of two surround sound speakers, two front speakers, one center speaker and one subwoofer. Each speaker has a ground and a signal line coming out and all 12 wires would go into their respective springy-clips on the dvd player.

I'm looking for an explaination of exactly what each *wire* of each of those six audio ports on the motherboard are for. I'm looking to learn not only what the jack is for, but also what each contact on the stereo plug would represent (e.g. the sleeve, ring and tip of the jack). For example, which is the left channel? The sleeve or the ring?

I understand the configuration varies depending on the settings on your computer. The computer's audio device will be in 5.1 SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS mode.

So to make it real simple, I need the code snippet filled out. :)

I assume the jacks color coding will be enough info to let you know what's what, but if it isn't and you need a high-res photo of the plugs so you can see the little engraved diagrams, let me know. Looking forward to your comments!
Code Snippet:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:
31:
32:
33:
AUDIO PORTS WHEN IN 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MODE
=======================================================

GRAY PLUG
     Sleeve - ground...?
     Ring - ?
     Tip - ?

BLACK PLUG
     Sleeve - ?
     Ring - ?
     Tip - ?

ORANGE PLUG
     Sleeve - ?
     Ring - ?
     Tip - ?

RED PLUG
     Sleeve - ground...?
     Tip side Ring - ?
     Sleeve side Ring - ?   <-- not sure if this exists, Some mic plugs have two rings don't they?
     Tip - ?

GREEN PLUG
     Sleeve - ?
     Ring - ?
     Tip - ?

BLUE PLUG
     Sleeve - ?
     Ring - ?
     Tip - ?
Open in New Window Select All

Answer : Problem: Explaination of audio ports on my computer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

This will give you the schemes for the sleeve, ring and tip.  Tip is usually left, ring is right and sleeve is ground.

Not sure what black and gray plug are for yet.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us