Question : Problem: File names too long for backup

File server has about 300 Gb data...and I am trying to sync the data to a USB HD...

I get errors and I suspect that the file names are too long...
I generated a report from the log, but it was about 600 pages long...impossible to go thru and
find the paths that are too long...

Tried Folder Clone, Vice Versa and both seem to work ok, but I cannot get the logs to show errors that
I might be able to find fairly quickly...

Is there some program I can install that can find the paths that are too long...???

I think there are maybe 2-4 dozen paths that are too, (but I might be way off), that I would need to shorten up...
But finding them in this loooooong log report is impossible...

Ideas???

Thanx
Steve

Answer : Problem: File names too long for backup

Use SyncBack to generate a copy.   (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/)   For any filenames that are too long it will generate an error report (in either HTML that opens with your browser or in text) ... but if you select the HTML format you can scroll through it VERY quickly and just look for RED items (very easy to spot).

The log file ONLY contains exceptions ... so it's VERY easy to find what you're looking for here.   I also synchronize a couple of large drives with external (320GB) externals ... and occasionally have paths that exceed the max;  but I know the next day when my overnight sync fails => and the SyncBack log file is staring at me with the exceptions in RED :-)

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us