Question : Problem: Need a DVD-RAM cartridge backup drive that will work on fedora core 3

Ok I'm completely lost here. I'm looking for a DVD RAM drive that will work in fedora core 3 for daily backups.

I found a bunch of drives that would probably work, but I want one that will work with DVD-RAM cartridges so we don't have to worry about scratching up the dvds. I found some but they are on weird websites and cost over $150 and seem like they only work in windows (so they say in the requirements). I found some DVD-RAM drives on newegg.com but they say nothing about working with cartridges.

Does anyone know of models that would do what I need? It should be IDE. I read that Panasonic made some with Linux support but I wasn't able to find anything on their website about it or any of their drives.

I read some places that all you do is plug them in and mount them and they work like a hard drive? So maybe anyone that I get would work? I'm still having a hard time finding one however.

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: Need a DVD-RAM cartridge backup drive that will work on fedora core 3

You normally don't need any special drivers for DVD Writers of any sort for linux. The main thing to be worried about is if the device uses a special interface, but IDE is as standard as can be. I'd get something of this type:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16827136072

If your unsure you can allways get into contact with the manufacturer and ask them if that particular device will work in linux, but I'm sure they will, as they are essentially the same as normal DVD or CD writers (the product above can also write and read normal DVD-R's and CD's, not just DVD-RAM's).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us