Question : Problem: 15 pin female to 9 pin male

I have a ThinkPad 380 that does not have a 15 pin input.  There is also some custom controls which plug into 15 pins.  There is a blue box that has a 15 pin female end and a 9 pin male end.  The custom controls plug into the blue box, the blue box plugs into the laptop, and it functions as a joystick.  

The computer was recently reformatted with Windows 98.  Now the custom controls do not function as they used to.  They work for a little while then crash the program.  I believe it is the driver (or lack of one) for the 'blue box' that is the problem.  The box has no markings on it that say what it is or who made it or anything.  

Any ideas?  What is this blue box (gameport)?  Does it need drivers?  Is it a Windows 98 problem (used to have 95)?  Gaming Options in the Control Panel doesn't recognise that controls are hooked up to the machine yet the program can function for a little while by pointing it to COM1.

Please ask for clarification as I know I didn't describe everything well.  My hardware knowledge is limited.  Thank you.

Answer : Problem: 15 pin female to 9 pin male

Back of the thinkpad 380 is a VGA connector, Parallel connector, Serial connector, power/AC, and input-device connector (I assume PS2/serial).  I agree with Pete, sound like your box is a serial-to-GamePort adapter of some sort.  If it's a custom device, you might need specific drivers for it, as under Win95/98 you generally needed proper gameport drivers for a custom device (though not for 'standard' joysticks).

You could also pick up either:
a. a PCMCIA-midi/gameport adapter card, or
b. an IBM Port Replicator

Both of which would give you a gameport.  I'd go with the port replicator myself, do a search on google or ebay for "IBM 380 port replicator" (I just did), and for $20-30 you can pick one up, get rid of the 'mystery box', and have a 'real hardware gameport' as was designed for the 380...  Get a used/refurb, and don't pay more than $20+s/h, IMHO.

-d
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us