Question : Problem: Increasing RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB causes blue screen

I have an Intel server with an SE7520BD2 motherboard.  It has 2 GB RAM, Intel SRCS28X Raid controller, 5x250GB drives in RAID5 Array, plus one hot spare.  OS is Server 2003 SBS.  This server is very slow and it's doing a lot of work - Exchange server, file server, OWA server, TrendMicro antivirus, backups, etc.  I would like to increase the RAM to 4GB to improve performance.  I ordered RAM from Crucial and installed.  The server would pass post settings, begin loading Windows, then reboot.  Crucial replaced the RAM - same problem.  Since the original two sticks are Kingston KVR333S4R25 / 1G, I decided to order the same part for the additional RAM.  But I get the same problem.  Do I have a defective motherboard?  I'm currently running Memtest 86 and have not found any errors yet.  Any ideas???

Answer : Problem: Increasing RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB causes blue screen

What is the BSoD that you are getting (with parameters). Also, could you post your boot.ini file?

From what you are saying, I think that there might be a RAM slot issue on the motherboard. If you are able to get the system to boot with either module set in DIMM1A/B, then it is most likely not the DIMMs - It is most likely the DIMM 2 A or B slot.

I double checked the specs / compatibility list on the motherboard and the modules are on their tested list. As long as they were in slots DIMM 1A/B and DIMM 2A/B, it should just work

You might also want to start swapping single modules with the new/old pair and put them in slots 1A/B but - I would expect that to give the same result (no problem)

Could you also list the part numbers (or check them) that are actually on the DIMMS. It would not be entirely unusual for a swap of "better" memory depending on where you purchased the RAM from (ie they gave you DDR400 instead of DDR333). - again that is a long shot....

Reference from the Intel Site on the compatibility list / supported configs:
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7520bd2/sb/se7520bd2_memlist_rev50.pdf
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us