Question : Problem: Power Supply Adapter Ratings and Country-Specific Voltages

Hi experts.
I didn't know where to ask this, and it's not so much a computing question as one that will be known to anyone who has a better knowledge than me as to how transformers work.

I sent an Internet Phone from the UK to a friend in America so we could communicate for free.  It's a cordless one that uses the base set to charge the internal batteries in the handset, and the base unit connects by usb to the computer.

The manual makes no mention of country-specific compatibility of the power adapter that plugs into the mains supply socket and connects to the base unit, and in fact the promotional documentation says "send another of our Internet phone packs to your loved ones, wherever they are in the world and stay in touch for free".

When plugged in, this phone doesn't seem to be charging on the base unit, but works OK when freshly charged AAA batteries are inserted.  On inspection (my phone pack is the same as that sent to my friend), the PSU bears the following ratings:

Mains Adaptor
SA35-52BS-3
Input: 230v ~ 50Hz 30mA
Output: DC6v 300mA

When I look at all other PSU's/Chargers for other domestic apparatus like my mobile phones, usb hub, etc, they all show that they accept a RANGE of inputs, eg.  110 to 230vAC ~ 50 to 66Hz.  In the UK we have 230 Volts (+10% 6%) Mains supply at 50Hz.  I believe these are called "switching" power supply adapters (as opposed to "switchable" where you would twist a voltage selector).

I have a rough idea how transformers work, but my question is what the results would be in this scenario where a PSU that is fixed to accept a 230v 50Hz mains supply is plugged into a USA plug socket supplying 110 Volts (-5% to +5%) at 60Hz (I think).

Will it only output half the DC voltage it would with a 230v input, ie. 3v instead of 6v?

If so, then clearly it won't charge the batteries, and more importantly wouldn't damage the batteries or phone, but I'm not clued up enough on power supply frequencies to know how that affects the output.

I know you will wonder this, so I'll answer it for you to save you asking.
Yes, my friend bought one of those simple plug adapters so the pins for the UK style plug pins fit the mains socket in the house there.
I am sure I will be able to source a PSU with USA plug pins and rated to accept 110v while giving the required DC output, but I intend seeking a partial rebate from the UK vendor if this is needed, on the basis that they imply the phone package is internationally compatible without additional purchases.

Thanks in advance
Bill

Answer : Problem: Power Supply Adapter Ratings and Country-Specific Voltages

you have 2 solutions :
buy a small  230- 110 V transformer (5 W )
buy an adaptor 110 V in, 6 V out, 2W min
i would not connect the 230 V adaptor to a 110 V mains - you cannot be sure it is a switching PS; it can just be a transformer with rectifier.  It will Never work, and can discharge your batteries even.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us