Question : Problem: SATA NTFS Format problems

I just installed a 120Gb WD Sata drive as well as a Silicon Image SATA controller card. It works, windows can see the drive, and there is no issue with drivers (i think). The problem is that I cannot format it to NTFS, only FAT32. It will format and run fine under FAT32, but whenever I try to format using NTFS it will always die when it is almost complete. I have tried every means of formatting it, Windows, Partition Magic, WIndows Setup. I am running win XP Pro and my mb is Epox 8kha+. THe drive is to be used as an additional storage device next to my 40gb IDE drive.

Another quirk I have found is that on boot windows always runs a consistancy check, and always converts just one specific folder to a short file name, ie LONGNA~1, Yet there is another folder with a long name that is never converted.
Any help appreciated.

Answer : Problem: SATA NTFS Format problems

Oh well, go for the adapter then. It will work fine as an IDE drive. It really is rubbish - released far too early. The actual data transfer rates are not much better than a good IDE system anyway. Version 2 doubles the rate and might be worthwhile. Only if SATA is native to the bios though. All the addons have problems.

Chrsi B
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us