Question : Problem: Set up Netgear FVS318v3 VPN Client Connection to Netgear Prosafe VPN Client

I have used every single bit of information on the web to try and make this seemingly simple connection, but between conflicting information and not actually explaining a lot of the settings, I have been unable to successfully create a VPN connection.

Some details.  My VPN router is the FVS318v3.  It's IP address is 192.168.15.1.  It automatically assigns all computers on the network an IP address.  The WAN IP of the router isn't static, as a cable modem is connected to it.  We use creativethermalsolutions.dyndns.org as our dynamic dns name.  The only ports that are currently specifically open on the router are for FTP, which is currently used to make a simple FTP server, and it works.

I have attached pictures of all pertinent menus for the VPN and IKE policies, both overview and details, and also a walkthrough of all the screens within my VPN client program.  I will be extremely diligent and quick with follow up information if necessary. Currently, I believe my largest confusion is with what IPs need to be referenced with the connection.  We also do not use any type of domain name on our network, it's just simple workgroups.  Thank you for your help.

Answer : Problem: Set up Netgear FVS318v3 VPN Client Connection to Netgear Prosafe VPN Client

hmmm. on a 338 or a 538 I would begin by opening TCP & UDP 500 and then create the VPN Tunnells.  But a 318 is using different software, so I cannot say for sure.  I would delete the IKE & VPN Policies, creat the rule, then recreate the VPN & IKE Policies.  

Also you may want to diable the default 'Block Always' rule and see if the VPN works.  That will at least isolate if its a firewall or other issue.

I would advise you to continue with the Shrew VPN Client, it is way better and at the very least it's just as secure.  

Uou can email me the config and I will roll it out in the lab and get it operational, then send it back to you.  Just make sure you NEVER send anyone you passwords or static ip's as they can be used to break into your network.

...I feel a bit obligated to say this as well.  Netgear makes some great products, but I wouldnt use the 318 for anything more than a few PC's on a small network and I would never use it as the VPN endpoint.  It's kinda slow, not very many patches and the backplane is tine.  An FVS338 is faily inexpensive and does a great job.  Not that Im saying throw the 318 away, just next time go for the 338 or 538 if you want dual wan ports with roll-ver or protocol binding.  If you want any advice on future purchases, let me know and I will outline what I use regulary for my customers.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNandSSL/WiredVPNFirewallRouters/FVS338.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-FVS338-ProSafe-VPN-Firewall/dp/B0006OCZGW

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us