Question : Problem: Windows XP PRO VPN Server behind Linksys BEFSR41

Hello,

I'm having troubles setting up a VPN Server on a Windows XP Pro machine.  I have the machine that is setup to act as the VPN server with a static IP address of 192.168.1.99  I also have 192.168.1.99 set as a DMZ in the Linksys browser configuration tab.  I also have tried to use port triggering on the Linksys BEFSR41 router using the trigger port range of 47 to 47 and the incoming port range of 1723 to 1723.  I also have another trigger port range of 50 to 50 and the incoming port range of 500 to 500.  I also have the VPN server on the Windows XP Pro machine set to give static IP's from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.10.  If I connect locally to the VPN server within the network behind the router everything works fine and I am assigned the proper IP within the range of 192.168.1.2 to 10.  However, if I try to connect to the VPN server outside of my network I get a 800 error when I try to connect to the VPN server.  On the client machines trying to connect to the VPN server I have them setup to connect to 192.168.1.99 and setup a user account for VPN clients to use.  Once again this works fine on machines behind the router, but it doesn't work on machine outside of the router.  ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

Answer : Problem: Windows XP PRO VPN Server behind Linksys BEFSR41

If you set a DMZ host, ALL ports are forwarded to that host, so there is nothing else to set up on the router.

I still don't know how you are setting up the client.
Looks like you might be out of luck setting up XP as a VPN server. It simply does not work behind NAT with a private IP address
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/xpvpnsrv.htm

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us