Question : Problem: AMD cpu does not show the true name and specs in Windows XP Pro

I upgraded the following:

Asus MotherBoard: M2NPV-VM
Windows Xp Pro sp3

Old CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.41GHZ    to    NEW CPU = AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0GHZ
Old Mem = KINGSTON KVR533D2N4/1G    to  NEW MEM = KINGSTON KVR800D2N5/1G [ X 2 = 2GB ]

** BOTH upgrades are on the tested and approved section of ASUS's motherboard compatibility list

The  XP  system shows the 2GB memory = 1.96 actual [ I'm good here ]
The  XP  system shows the AMD unknown processor 3.0 GHZ

Why is the system showing an unknown processor?
I did notice under the programs that there is a AMD device driver [ it was on there from the old AMD ]
Should I delete this?
I looked at AMD's site and it does not offer any drivers that I found?
I normally deal with INTEL and never have to install a driver for a CPU upgrade.
I am going to look at the downloads from the ASUS site to see if there should be an ASUS upgrade.
I wanted to know if anyone else has seen this and what is going on?

The system atually seems to be going slower.
I replaced a single core with a dual core, upped the mem, and it is slow.
I also thought that this may be because of the power supply?? 300w not enough juice??

any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks

Answer : Problem: AMD cpu does not show the true name and specs in Windows XP Pro

Does it correctly identify it in the BIOS?  If not, you will need a BIOS update; otherwise, you need to update the processor driver from ACPI UniProcessor to ACPI MultiProcessor: http://www.handaware.com/multiprocessor_XP.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us