Question : Problem: CD drive dosen't work after installing an additional hard drive

I took a Windows 2000 computer which had a working hard drive and CD drive and added an additional hard drive so that I had two hard drives (C and D drive) and both drives work well but the CD drive does not work.  The C and D drive are on the ribbon cable and the CD drive is on an additional ribbon cable.  The system device manager says it is working correctly and the CD drive shows on My Computer as an E CD drive.  But any CD I insert doesn't work and if I try to see what's on the disk using My Computer it says there is no disk inserted when there actually is.  I tried changing the jumper on the CD drive a couple different ways but I suspect either the jumpers on C and D and the CD drive needs to be set correctly (and right now I don't know what they shoud be set at) or there is something in the BIOS that I need to change during startup.

Answer : Problem: CD drive dosen't work after installing an additional hard drive

I would look at your jumper settings on the back of each drive.  You need to configure the drives so that one is a master/primary drive connected to the end of the IDE/ribbon cable and the other is a slave/secondary drive connected to the plug in the middle of the ribbon cable.  Usually the hard drive will have a small diagram on where to place the jumper to set it as a master(MS) or a slave(SL) or cables select(CS).

See this article for more info:
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/masterslaveorcableselect.shtml
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us