Question : Problem: Typical Life Expectancy of Desktops and Other Hardware

This question is directed to computing professionals who work with many different desktops during the course of a year, and have a good idea of their average life expectancy.  

My Dell workstation is four and a half years old, runs just fine and does everything I need it to do.  My current backup strategy is inadequate, so I could buy an external hard disk or a tape drive, if I intend to use the Dell for another several years.  *Or* I could plan on buying a completely new computer, if four years is getting pretty old for a typical desktop.

I use the Dell daily.  Ambient temperatures range from low 50s to upper 70s.  I always let the computer warm up for fifteen minutes before writing to disk.  

One fellow who works with lots of boxes told me that the hard disk isn't the only thing that breaks -- he's replaced motherboards, etc.  

I expect the hard disk to go eventually -- but if that's the only weak link, then I can get a second drive and keep using the Dell.  But if other parts of a four and a half year old computer are likely to start fritzing out, then it's time to think of a new box.  

What are your experiences?

In your answer, I'll appreciate it if you can mention how many desktops or workstations you work with during the course of a year.  

Answer : Problem: Typical Life Expectancy of Desktops and Other Hardware

I actually don't work with desktops and workstations at all on a professional level for the last 5 years.  I am more heavily involved with email servers, blackberrys servers and moderately involved with the LAN/WAN equipment in the support of an email service that supports over 19,000 users across the US.  Prior to that I was heavily involved with PCs from the prospect of supporting Financial applications that supported trading desks, backoffice processes, and general accounting processes.  I've worn many other hats prior to and since that, including a stint at teaching.  I've supported sites that fit into the small, medium and large catagories and am deeply familiar with their business dynamics.  At one apex, I've supported a site that housed 750+ computer units and that doesn't include site migrations which can easily encompass 2,000+ units.  Otherwise I have a nice gigabit network at home that includes 13 (desktops, laptops and servers) devices amongst other things.

But after saying all of that.  The average computer these days have the potential to outlive its useful lifespan less the harddrive which probably at best has about a 3-7 year life span.  So if you keep your computer for an extended period of time, expect to replace your HD at least once in the life span of the computer.

The rule of thumb for the computer (probably most aptly in your case) is use it until it can'be be used.  With the exception of the HD, your computer may never break down and you may relegate it to a unused corner of your desk.  I still have my Apple ][e (1983) and Atari 800 (1979) (not included in the previous rant above) which I seem to be using only once every 3 so years.

In terms of what you want to do; is really up to you; there is no invalid formula to do anything.  Considering the longevity of the technology vs the falling costs associated with the landmark technologies vs the ever increasing strides made by all the tech manuafacturers.  Its a free for all and the only thing I can think of is what ever you do has to be useful to you.

Only other thoughts is definitely make backups of your important data, and if you do buy another HD; you can find better deals outside of Dell.

going to sleep now...

Regards,
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us