Question : Problem: Remove bios password on a Compaq Armada 1550T

I have an old Compaq Armada 1550T with Windows 98 installed. The computer works fine, but it has a bios password that has to be entered every time it is turned on. The passowrd is known, so it is more of an annoyance than a real problem. I am going to let my young daughter use the computer, and because of that i want to get rid of the password.

I use the F10-key to enter the setup program when powering up the computer. However, I am not allowed to do anything to the password. It is a description in the program telling me I have to reboot the computer, press F10, enter the password, and then a blank password twice to remove the protection.

When following these intructions, I get to type in the password, but the computer instantly starts to boot without giving me the opportunity to enter any new passwords.

What am I doing, or rather: what am I not doing right? Are there supposed to be a software tool witinh windows to change this?

Regards, Ola

Answer : Problem: Remove bios password on a Compaq Armada 1550T

This is taken from the manual for this laptop found here in chapter 4-->setting security features
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_284809-003_rev3_us/TPM_284809-003_rev3_us.pdf

To change or delete your power-on password, follow these steps:
1. Turn on or restart the computer by clicking Shut Down from
the Windows Start menu.
2. At the password prompt, type the current power-on password.
3. Type the key character for your country.

IMPORTANT: Each computer keyboard is designed to meet specific
country requirements. See the following chart to determine which
key character is correct for your country.

Use one of the following key characters when changing or deleting passwords.
Country-Specific Key Characters

Belgian -->  =

Brazilian -->  ;

Danish, German, Italian, Latin,American, Norwegian,Portuguese, Spanish,Swedish/Finnish, Swiss  -->  -

French -->  !

French Canadian -->  é

Japanese, Korean, United Kingdom, United States,Taiwanese -->  /
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us