Question : Problem: HP PSC 1610 - Installation hangs

I am working with one of our customers to try to get the HP software for their new HP 1610 All-in-One printer/scanner/fax and I am having trouble with the HP software hanging during the installation.

The computer is running Windows XP Home Edition, service pack 2. The computer has 128 megs of memory (HP recommends 192 megs). The screen where it hangs shows "Current Progress - waiting for user input" and "Preparing to install (Step 2/4)". We have tried using the installer directly from the CD, and copying the contents of the CD to the hard drive, per HP technical support recommendation. I have checked to make sure there are no prompts hidden behind the install program's window. The HP printer is unplugged during the installation of the software. The customer previously had an HP PSC 4110 All-in-One printer, but I had uninstalled that software and related drivers prior to getting the new printer. I have tried running the HP uninstall utility all the way up to level 4 (the highest), which removes all traces of any HP printing software and drivers from the file system and registry. I have disabled antivirus software (AVG Free Edition), disabled antispyware applications (Microsoft, Spybot, etc.). I have tried increasing the virtual memory all the way up to 640MB, to give it plenty, but there is no on-disk paging, so I do not suspect that to be the problem.

One observation I have noted is that during the installation, when it hangs, the processor goes to 100% CPU, and the process using all of the processor is HPZsui01.exe. If I kill this process, the installation software will terminate and uninstall what it has installed to that point.

I do know that if I do not install the HP software, Windows XP will use built-in drivers to allow the printer to function, but we want to use the HP software for faxing and scanning. I suspect the built-in drivers do not have the capabilities for the scanning and faxing.  I have run the uninstall program and rebooted in-between all of my attempts at fixing this.

Has anyone seen any similar problems, or have any suggestions as to how we can get this to install properly?

Answer : Problem: HP PSC 1610 - Installation hangs

You should check the device manager to see if there are still unrecognized devices as explained here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=390315&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bpu01858

If it doesn't work, you should try to read the installation log to find the module which is blocking the installation (HPZsui01.exe you mentioned is not listed in hp docs) as explained here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=390315&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00093927#c00093927_doc
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us