Question : Problem: What is Kofax and ISIS?

I am familiar with TWAIN scanning methods, but I would like to find out about the terms ISIS and Kofax.  First of all, I believe that ISIS is a "communication protocol" for connecting to high speed scanners... is this correct?  What are some specifics about ISIS?  What type of hardware is needed (SCSI, Parallell, etc.)?  Are there special scanners that are ISIS compatable?  Will these scanners necessarily state that they are ISIS compatible?

Secondly, what is Kofax.  I have visited their site, but can't make sense of it.  I don't know if Kofax is a driver, a PCI board, a scanner, software or what?  Does Kofax use ISIS, or is it an alternative to ISIS?  If it's an alternative, then what are the differences?  If I wanted to use Kofax, what would I need?

Any help is appreciated!

Answer : Problem: What is Kofax and ISIS?

Hi bmccleary,

Here's a url describing what ISIS actually means:

http://www.pixtran.com/downloads/whitepaper_isis.pdf

AND

http://www.pixtran.com/products/isis/4page.doc

Some info which you might be interested in:

How ISIS Benefits the User
-------------------------------------

Because of the amount of support and testing available to ISIS developers, ISIS-based applications are inherently more reliable than applications based on less formally supported standards.

The interface presented to the user for scanner setup can be the standard ISIS dialog boxes, an interface of the application developer’s design, or some combination of standard and custom interface elements.  Regardless of the path chosen by a particular developer, the user interface presented by an ISIS application for these functions will be consistent from scanner to scanner.

ISIS is almost ubiquitously supported in the document imaging marketplace, with hardware and software support expanding each month.  This allows users to upgrade or add scanners at will - with assurance that their existing application will support their new hardware investment seamlessly.  Similarly, most imaging applications support ISIS.  

Users can be sure that, when they move from one imaging application to another, their existing hardware will be supported.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us