Question : Problem: RAID 5: Wrong Drive Size

Hi

About 9 months back i had a question on replacing a faulty drive here > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21824731.html

All went ok and server has been running like a dream. Only problem now is that the drive size is reported wrong or there is a RAID configuration error. The original drives were 3 x Hitachi 34GB which i have replaced with 3 x Seagate 73Gb. I followed Darwinian999's suggestions and successfully rebuild the RAID array.

While doing maintenance today i realized that the drive size is wrong. It is being reported by Windows as 68.29Gb (34Gb x 3 RAID 5). This in fact should be 145.98GB (73Gb x 3 RAID 5)

I have 2 partitions C: > 9.77GB and D: > 58.52Gb
The C: drive has 2.5Gb free space and poses a problem.

Which steps do i need to take in order to get the full drive size?

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: RAID 5: Wrong Drive Size

I think you understand what's going on here, but just in case:   Remember the difference between a physical disk and a "disk" that is actually an array.   Your current "disk" is a 68.29GB disk => which is the correct size for the original drives you had installed.   When you replaced the drives, the array was simply rebuilt with the same parameters it already had.

As was noted above, if your controller supports "online capacity expansion," then you can simply expand the array => which will make the "disk" look larger (and you'll now have some unallocated space in Disk Manager).   If it does not, then you can either do as you suggested above [image; recreate the array; then restore]  OR  you can simply create another array using the rest of the space => that will then "look" like a second "disk" to Windows, and you can then partition and format it.

In either event, it's a good idea to image both of your partitions before doing anything that will alter your partition structure.   But, as noted above, be sure to do this from a DOS-level boot => NOT from within Windows.  "Live" imaging is simply not a good idea.

Finally, if you need to resize your current partitions, I'd give some consideration to Boot-It NG.  I've found that to be an incredibly reliable and very reasonably priced little tool.   The process of resizing partitions with it was discussed at some length here:  http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21929035.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us