Question : Problem: New motherboard and computer temperatures.

Hello:

I recently replaced the motherboard on my Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop.  I immediately noticed a dramatic drop in the computer's temperatures -- on the northbridge chipset, on the CPU heatsink, a little on the memory modules, inside the case in general.  I should note that the computer does not run any faster or more stable now than it did with the old motherboard (it works flawlessly with both motherboards).  I should also mention that the old motherboard was labeled with a manufacturing date of 1999, while the new one is dated 2002.

Is there a logical explanation for the drop in temperatures?  I would prefer someone with knowledge of electronics to answer this question or, at the very least, someone who has repaired motherboards and has a resonable idea which motherboard components are likely to affect chip temperature.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Answer : Problem: New motherboard and computer temperatures.

It is 'tenable' Mr. Nobus.

And 815 chipset doesn't mean much.
There were 815, 815E, 815EB, 815EB(B-step), 815EP, 815P, 815EG, and 815G.
It's not at all uncommon for a replacement board to have a newer chipset version with no indication of that fact anywhere except written on the chip itself.

Very common.
When the original version of the chipset goes out of production during the time the motherboard manufacturer is required to provide replacements they often switch to the next up version of the chipset 'without telling anyone'.

I've replaced several i815 boards that did not support ATA-100 with same make-model replacement boards that did support ATA-100 due to an updated South Bridge in the chipset. There was NO indication they did this and 'officially' they didn't.

I had a similar experience with i845 boards that didn't-then-did support Prescott CPU's. Same-same: There was NO indication they did this and 'officially' they didn't.

- They don't want it known. They don't want a rash of people breaking their boards just to get an improved replacement under warranty.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us