Question : Problem: Which P45 Motherboard is ACTUALLY rated to support 16gb ram

I've read not all intel p45 motherboards support 16gb ram, ie the asus p5ql pro, anyone which p45 motherboards actually support 16gb, with links to tests preferably.

thnx

Answer : Problem: Which P45 Motherboard is ACTUALLY rated to support 16gb ram

Anytime you exceed about 32 "loads" on the bus, the signal deterioration is fairly severe from an electrical perspective.   You can compensate somewhat with higher voltages; longer timings; and/or slower speed ... and if you're lucky the memory will work okay.   But it is NOT reliable enough for "mission-critical" use -- that's why server boards use registered or FBDIMM modules ... with buffered modules there's one load per module instead of one load per chip (with double-sided ECC modules that's 1/18th the load of unbuffered memory !!).

Personally, I never exceed two double-sided modules in an unbuffered board -- I like rock-solid performance in my systems.   A LOT of "glitches" folks notice in their systems are simply memory errors caused by unreliable memory subsystems -- especially when they install 4 modules in an unbuffered board.

What would you "notice??"   Probably just occasional crashes that you'd likely attribute to Windows ... but which most likely wouldn't occur with only two modules.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us