Question : Problem: Arcserve 6.6 E3801 - Invalid session header signature when trying to restore tape with multiple sessions

After backing up our data daily for years fat dumb and happy, we recently had a need to actually restore a few files. When looking at the log file the backup (with verify) runs with just a few explainable file access errors, reports "incomplete" but otherwise looks ok. When trying to restore from the restore wizard, if the file I want to restore lives on the first session, it will restore the file just fine. If the file is on any other session the E3801 error pops up reporting a session ID of 00000000 or dddddddd or similar bad data. Tried another drive, tapes are new, even tried the full erase and reformat. Same results.
Any Ideas?

Answer : Problem: Arcserve 6.6 E3801 - Invalid session header signature when trying to restore tape with multiple sessions

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, busy times. I tried to do a firmware upgrade on the tape drive, it's an HP C5686A through the tape drive management tool that HP provides and I hit some roadblocks that would not allow me to proceed with the process. I've decided to look at some other back-up solutions that would allow me to do D2D. Well be backing up data from a mix of servers. some NT4, Windows Server 2003,  an Exchange server 2007, and assorted shares on XP workstations. If anyone has any recommendations on a reasonably priced package that I could use I would welcome your input. Backing up about 50 GB. I have been playing around with Genie-soft backup pro and it seems to work pretty well. Need to go with their server edition to be able to get the exchange server files it looks like.
Thanks!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us