Question : Problem: Cannot connect to one specific box using RDC

I have one particular XPSP2 box in my network that I cannot connect to using Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). I can connect to any other machines, including my WS2003SBS, with RDC except this machine. And it's driving me INSANE. I've been up and down all of Experts Exchange and have yet to find a solution.

It seems that ports 3389 & 1374 are blocked on this machine and I can't figure out how to open them. When I attempt to connect to this box using RDC, I receive a message stating "This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator." Well, I am the admin, and I'm stumped. The PC is connected to the LAN, I can ping to and from the PC, but I cannot connect using RDC to or from the PC. I've made certain any services related to RDC or Terminal Services are enabled, and checked the Windows add-ons to make sure all networking services are installed. I do have a new TrendMicro NetSuite for SMB installed on the SBS, but I've exclusively asked for these two ports to be left open in the Firewall settings. The Windows Firewall and Security Center have been disabled.

I don't know what else to do. And I'm pulling my hair out, just like in the cartoons. :P

Answer : Problem: Cannot connect to one specific box using RDC

Perhaps someone has changed the default RDP port from 3389 to something else.  Look here and see if the port number is correct in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

If its not then either change it back or connect to your box with the IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port nmber

Good luck!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us