Question : Problem: Remote desktop timeouts

Hi,

I'm trying to remote desktop to a Dell optiplex gx620 using a standard image we have. This works fine with other gx 620 pcs.

With this one particular machine, I get a remote connection error:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer. The two computers can't connect in the time allocated.

I'm connecting with an admin account and the target machine has RDP enabled and firewall off. I'm connecting over a high speed LAN. What happens is that the initiating pc brings up the ctrl+alt+del logon screen and tries to connect, the screen freezes for 90-180 seconds before kicking off that error.

The target machine's screens go blank, so it's obviously repsonding to an attempt. After  a time out period, the pc displays a message about recovering from a serious error. Looking thru event viewer I can't see anything significant apart from service control start messages.

I noticed after one attempt that service remote access connection manager wasn't started, when I tried to run this it failed as I couldn't get the dependent telephony service to run. Upon a restart both services worked fine.

RDP seems a bit flaky with around 5% of our pc's. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

tx

Answer : Problem: Remote desktop timeouts

I'll change the graphics card see if this makes a difference...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us