Question : Problem: Add Application to Terminal Server

I have installed an application(written in visual studio) on terminal server using the administrator account successfully; I have then copied the shortcut for the application which was installed during the install and adding this to the start folder for additional users. When the additional user clicks on the shortcut from there program list the program fails to load with the following error.  The application exists in the add remove programs list, why will the application not run from the other user sessions?

ERROR DETAILS
      Following errors were detected during this operation.
      * [13/05/2009 11:31:51] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
            - Downloading http://ts1/JobTrak/my.application did not succeed.
            - Source: System.Deployment
            - Stack trace:
                  at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
                  at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
                  at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
                  at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
                  at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
                  at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifest(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
                  at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, TempFile& deployFile)
                  at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)
                  at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
            --- Inner Exception ---
            System.Net.WebException
            - The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
            - Source: System
            - Stack trace:
                  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
                  at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
      No transaction information is available.

Answer : Problem: Add Application to Terminal Server

When you install a program on a terminal server you should set the server in install mode. If you don't do it the application installed will work fine for the user that installed the program but not for other users.

This has to do with the "shadow bits" to the HKCU registry and users ini-files.

I don't know what program you're installing, but I would try to uninstall it, set the server in install mode (with none users logged on) and try to install the application again.

I have experienced once that once installed in execute mode the application never worked even if it was uninstalled/installed.

Here is the step you should take:

1. Uninstall from add-/remove programs
2. Open cmd and type:
3. change logon /disable
3. query user (only the consol user should be logged on)
4. change user /install
5. INSTALL THE APPLICATION
6. change user /execute
7. change logon /enable

Then try the application with a normal user.

SG

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us