Question : Problem: DVD Drive not recognized on SATA port 2 and 3_After Installing New 2nd Hardrive

I just Installed a 500GB Seagate Second hardrive, and suddenly the DVD drive does not appear on "My computer" There is no drive letter for it...

Dell Inspiron 531,with Dual Boot Windows Vista Home Premium (it came with it), and XP Pro SP2 (i installed after...) But i am checking everything on XP...

In my Computer Manual, it says that HDs have to be installed on SATA 0 and SATA1, and CD and DVD on SATA 2 and 3. What i did is that I opened the PC, and the DVD drive was connected to SATA 1, and the First HD to SATA 0. So i disconnected the DVD SATA 1 and changed it to SATA 2 , and i installed the 2nd HD on SATA 1.

I restarted the PC and it recognized the New Hardrive, but now the DVD drive has disapeared...

What can i do?

What i have tried so far:

1) I tried going on to the SETUP menu with F2 during boot, but there is no option to enable the DVD drive, this , along with the 2 HDs are in Grey, and can not be selected... and besides the Sata 2 and 3 says "NONE"... (All the SATA ports are in Grey and can not be selected)

2) I disconnected the HD from SATA 1, and i connected Again the DVD to SATA 1 as it was originally, and the DVD Drive is now RECOGNIZED...but still i dont have my HD...

3) I connected the 2nd HD to SATA 2, and in the F2 system setup, the SATA 0 and 1 appear as Hard drive and DVD optical, but SATA 2 and 3 appear as NONE again...

So what i guess is that SATA port 2 and 3 are not working... or they are Disabled somehow.. How can i fix this?

thanks

Answer : Problem: DVD Drive not recognized on SATA port 2 and 3_After Installing New 2nd Hardrive

Hello,
There is an option in your BIOS to enable the 2nd and 3rd SATA port
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us