Question : Problem: AOL organize folder file merge?

Have a client that had 2 computers running AOL.  One computer died and he wants to import saved data from that computer (hard drive recovered) into his other computer.  So, it's not quite as easy as overwriting the organize folder.  How can I merge them?  Or can I?

Answer : Problem: AOL organize folder file merge?

Clearly overwriting the file is not what you want to do here.   In fact, the AOL documentation makes it clear that even if you do this from within the AOL interface it will REPLACE (i.e. overwrite) the other file if you attempt to bring in the 2nd folder.

Before doing anything, SAVE a copy of both of the organize folders !!

Now load the old folder; and export all of the data to a .PFC file (perhaps "OldStuff").

Now replace the folder with the new folder.

That won't merge the data, but the use can open the "OldStuff" folder (via AOL's File-Open menu) and view anything he needs to.   He can also save them one-at-a-time and they'll be in his new folder ... but AOL doesn't provide any batch method to do this (at least they didn't the last time I looked at this for someone).

Unfortunately, AOL doesn't provide any simple mechanism for merging => I think that's because they're still very much store-on-the-server oriented and don't have a lot of tools to massage the data that's stored locally.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us