Question : Problem: Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my PC?

I have a cramped workspace.  Most work is done on my laptop, but I have some work I need to do off my PC.  Is it possible to use my laptop as a monitor for my PC instead of the CRT monitor that is hooked to it now?  Ideally I would like the ability to toggle the screen between the PC and my laptop desktops so I could work on both.  I've got an HP dv 9000 laptop with all media hookups and just about every kind of port imaginable on it.  I hope this is possible so I can put this CRT in storage.

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my PC?

Punky,
What's a CTR Monitor?  And a KLM Switch?

:-)

The answer is MAYBE.  Depends on how you want to do this, what kind of video performance you need, and what operating system you are using on your desktop.

You can essentially "remote control" the desktop using one of the following methods:
* Remote Desktop (if the desktop is using Windows XP Pro, Vista Business, or Vista Ultimate).  
* Regardless of what OS, you can use the free VNC to remotely control the system (TightVNC/UltraVNC/RealVNC should all work)
* Use a third party product such as PC Anywhere, Timbuktu, DameWare or something else.

Now, you don't get BIOS level access to the system, but you WOULD be able to remotely control the system when in Windows.  I have several "headless" (as in no monitor) servers running like this and frankly, I do most of my work (including answering this question) on my office computer while I am sitting at home and/or at clients or just out.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us