Question : Problem: Laptop Backup solution

I am looking for a centrally managed backup solution for laptops all located on one network. I would like to be able to write rules and actually be able to check the execution logs on a server. I would also like this software/hardware to be able to create and manage versions (only a set number). It needs to support at least 20 clients. It should be able to either backup to a USB drive or a network share preferably without much interaction. Something similar to CDP technology, where software can make backups in increments.

I am also looking for something that doesn't have an astronomical cost.

Thank you in advance,

Answer : Problem: Laptop Backup solution

BackupExec will warn you that the laptop "missed" its backup schedule. It can be notified by email. Once back on the network, you can either wait for the next Backup Schedule or simply run a manual backup. Right from Symantec's Website:

"" Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option With the majority of business-critical information residing outside the data center or off corporate servers, protection for desktops and laptops is a must. The Desktop and Laptop Option delivers continuous data protection to desktops and laptops whether in the office or on the road. Not only improving data protection and efficiency, this option enables users to restore their own files and maintains synchronization between multiple desktops and laptops so the most up-to-date file versions are available on all of a users computers. Because the Desktop and Laptop Option does not require a dedicated stand-alone server as competing products do, it easily integrates into existing IT infrastructure and policies, helping lower the total cost of ownership.

The new push-install functionality from within Backup Exec centralizes deployment. Backup Exec 12 includes support for Windows Vista, Windows XP 64-bit OS, as well as delta file transfer, reducing the total amount of data being backed up. With this release, this option is integrated with Backup Exec Retrieve (available with the Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server) for even greater simplified file recovery. ""

I would recommend you to give them a call. They would be more than please to answer that type of question more accurately than me ;)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us