Question : Problem: Help setting up VPN using a single Linksys RV042 router

Hello,
I'm trying to setup a VPN using a single Linksys RV042 router at my company's main office so that remote users can have access to certain computer in the office.  What I need is a walkthrough of how to do this.  I'll be happy to answer any questions about specs, etc. Thanks.

~pcjunky

P.S. - I'm trying to get this done by the end of the day.

Answer : Problem: Help setting up VPN using a single Linksys RV042 router

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Internet and time problems here.

Here is a little more detail:

I think you will find the manual is very good, however I know it can be confusing as to which items you need to configure, so I'll point those out and add a little detail. If you need it an online copy is available at the link below. Please feel free to ask any specific questions.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1123638171618&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Log on to the RV042 router
-Connect a computer with DHCP (automatically obtain and IP address) enabled on the network card with a patch cable to one of the 4 LAN connections
-in a web browser enter the address http://192.168.1.1  a window will open requesting a user name and password, enter admin for both
   Note: save each page as you set it up. If the router locks up, I doubt it will, powering it on and off. There is also a little reset button to set it back to factory defaults if you are stuck.

SETUP | NETWORK
-Hostname and Domain name are usually not needed
-DMZ/Dual WAN option, choose DMZ for now
-Device IP -choose an IP address for the Linksys for your network, that does not conflict with an existing device
    Note: When you save this you will have to change the address in the browser to match, to log back in
-Choose the type of connection Static (most likely), Dynamic, or PPPoE
  -Static Enter information supplied by ISP (Internet Service provider), IP address, Subnet mask, Gateway address, and DNS server addresses
  -Dynamic, will obtain IP information automatically
  -PPPoE, will again obtain IP information automatically but you will have to enter a username and password
-DMZ information leave blanc for now

SETUP | PASSWORD
-highly recommend changing the default password

SETUP | TIME
-self explanatory

DHCP
-sounds like you have DHCP (automatic assignment of local IP addresses) set up now, so disable this
    Note: when you disable this if you are using DHCP you will have to manually set an IP in the same subnet/range or connect the router and your computer to your network and obtain one from your existing DHCP server/device

VPN | ignore Gateway to gateway and client to gateway

VPN | CLIENT ACCESS
-enter a username and password, make it active and save. This will match your Quick VPN client

VPN | PASS THROUGH
-Enable at least IPSec pass through (security policy for the Quick VPN client)

This should be all that is necessary for the basic configuration of the router. Connect the router to your netwok, if you have not done so already.

Next, on the remote workstation (XP or Win2K) that you are going to connect with you need to install the VPN Quick VPN client. It is available from:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1123638171618&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

The remote needs to be on a different subnet/IP range than the main office.

Next, create a profile by right clicking on the connection icon on the task bar and then entering a user name, password and the Linksys VPN router's IP Address. The address is the WAN/Internet address of the RV042. If you do not know it you can obtain by going to http://www.whatismyip.com from the site where the RV042 is located. Also if you are not using a static IP, you can set up a DDNS service (Dynamic Domain Name Service) to track the changes. Get it working first and we can deal with this later if you need to.
Now save the profile. To connect right click on the icon and choose connect.

Assuming you get a message that you are connected you should now be able to connect to shares on the other network. However you will likely not be able to connect using the NetBIOS name. Try using \\IPadress\Sharename such as \\192.168.0.111\Share

Good luck and let me know how you make out and if you have any questions.
--Rob
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us