Question : Problem: Partitioning - Drive Letter Changes

Experts:
  I have a client that is running a Win98 P2P server, and the C: drive was running out of disk space.  The client purchased a new 40 gig HDD, and I partitioned/formatted/installed it.  I created an extended partition, and a logical drive letter D: -- all was good to go.  During the install, I noticed that whomever set the box up initially had only partitioned 2 gigs out of the 20 gig primary drive, hence wasting 18 gigs of space.  What I would like to do is, re-partition the primary drive into 2 partitions C: (system, boot) and D: (data).  What I am wondering is, once I do this will the extended partition and logical drive created on the primary drive allow me to name the D: drive ? and automatically rename the partition on the secondary drive to E:?  Or, will I have to assign a new drive letter to the secondary drive first, and then re-partition the primary?  Your thoughts are appreciated.  TIA.

-Hedgie67

Answer : Problem: Partitioning - Drive Letter Changes

Install both HD on same IDE controller
connect CDROM to other IDE controller
(Sharing IDE cable between hard drive and CD ROM may slow access to your hard drive)

Install Windows:
  during installation you can select IDE 0, create a partition for C: (system) leave the rest for your Data partition D: (no need to create here)

After install of OS:
  Open Disk Management under Admin Tools and you can create your new Partitions D: (data) and E:(40GB?)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us