Question : Problem: Help identifying connectors on mother board

This may seem stupid to you experts, But I need to ask because I need to understand myself. I'm trying to build my first computer from all the parts.
I bought a used pentium motherboard. It has what I do not recognize as standard IDE connectors for my drives. It has connectors that look similar to the PCI slots (but brown). Can you please tell me what I am looking at? Is this where my drives hook to? Does this mean there are no IDE connectors on this board? I'm confused... Can you please help me to understand this layout before I begin.
What I see are:
5 16 bit slots
4 PCI slots
4 simm slots
AND THEN THESE 2 BROWN SLOTS THAT LOOK LIKE THE PCI SLOTS.
The Board has the old style power hookup... The one with the two connectors that plug in-line with each other with the red wires together in the center - Don't know what it is called.
BUT I DO NOT SEE ANY IDE CONNECTORS.
The board says: MB54VP VER 2.1     Do you know what I have?

Thanks,
Chinman

Answer : Problem: Help identifying connectors on mother board

Chinman,

It seem's you've picked yourself up an early pentium board with both PCI and VLB (Vesa Loca Bus) slots, VLB is an extension to the 16 bit ISA bus, and a VLB card will also use the 16 bit section of the bus. Some early pentium motherboards, particularly those based on the OPTI chipset had no built on IDE ports, you'll have to find one elsewhere, any will run, but No.1 choice should be PCI based (hard to get now), No.2 choice should be VLB (secondhand and plenty of em about), No.3 choice is 16 bit ISA, shops should be glad to give them away.

WARNING!!!!!!!
To quote your origianal question,

"The one with the two connectors that plug in-line with each other with the red wires together in the center"

You better look at that again, every one I've ever seen has BLACK to BLACK in the center, RED to the outside, so don't blow it up.

Hippy.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us