Question : Problem: mouse not working after plugging into another PC

my PS/2 mouse had been working well for 3 years until some days back I had plugged it onto another PC. when I plugged it, the mouse was not working for the first plug; after rebooting it worked, but it was constantly malfunctioning. after I plugged it back to the original PC, it also kept malfunctioning (cannot scroll, "sticky", scroll ball not working, cannot click, sometimes just died completely and could not work until rebooted, etc.). does this mean my mouse has been bad? could plugging it into another PC's PS/2 port hurt it? please help.

Answer : Problem: mouse not working after plugging into another PC

Sorry. No, normally the ports are identical between PC's , as seen from the mouse. The probable cause here, with a 3 year old mouse, is the plug or the cable (as has been suggested). The internal wires are prone to develop breaks at points where they bend (near the mouse or near the plug) and the plug or its pins will not last quite forever either. Trying a known good mouse on the PC's involved will tell you if it is the port(s) or the mouse. Sorry again for assuming you hot-plugged the mouse.
/RID
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us