Question : Problem: When UPS kicks on, servers begin gradual shutdown

Greetings Experts.  I'm not sure how to implement this but I believe it is possible.  I have two servers (Windows 2003 server and a Small Business Server 2003) in a test lab that connect to a Compaq t2000 UPS device.  What I am looking to do is when the power is lost, the servers know they are running on the UPS and begin to gradually shutdown.  I have a virtual server running off of the Windows 2003 server so I have to incorporate that as well.  There is a serial cable from the UPS to the Windows 2003 server.    

So, what is the best way to do this?  I appreciate your help and time with this.  

Answer : Problem: When UPS kicks on, servers begin gradual shutdown

Depending on the configuration the UPS can initiate the shutdown command OR the Windows server can initiate the shut down command. If the UPS is managed check its configuration to issue the shut down command.

ON the Server:

Once connected in the control panel on the 2003 server go to power options. Then click on the UPS tab...check enable all notifications (select the seconds between power failure and first notification...5 is default).

The key is the Critical Alarm section...minutes on battery before critical alarm. You have to estimate the minutes the UPS can carry the load and subtract a few minutes. At that point the Next instruct the computer to "Shut down"

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us