Question : Problem: No sound device detected

I am working on a customers Dell Dimension desktop with an onboard sound card.  The system shows that it is installed correctly and the drivers are working properly.  When I go to the Sound and Audio Devices in the control panel it shows as no audio device available and is greyed out.  I then put in a pci audio card, the machine detected new hardware and I installed the drivers.  It shows up in the system as properly installed but still in Sound shows no audio device detected and greyed out.  I thought at first that the onboard hardware was dead but when I used another working card with the same results I was stumped.  Any ideas would be gretaly appreciated
Phil

Answer : Problem: No sound device detected

I checked the bios and found the sound to be on.  Something told me to check the Windows services and I found the Windows Audio service to be stopped and disabled.  How it got in that state I don't know but according to the owner of the computer, the sound never worked out of the box.  In any case, I started the service and set it to automatic.  Once I did that the dound device showed as available and all works well.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us