Question : Problem: I can't connect to home wireless network

Hello guyz,

I am new here and I am happy that I found this great forum after some google.

Well I use desktop, my OS is WinXP Pro. Before I was using Cable Internet and it used to work fine for me. Now I have decided to use Wireless Internet.

I bought Belkin G USB Wireless Adapter and connected it to my PC. My girl friend has got laptop with in-built wireless network card and she can use internet without any problem. But my PC cant connect to internet. I have installed Belkin Driver as well as Software CD. I tried to use belkin software to connect, used Wireless Zero Configuration utility but it does not work.

Sometimes in wireless network list it shows my home network, sometimes not. I tried to change different channel and for sometime it get connect and when I restart PC again same problem, can't connect. I disable enable Wireless Zero Configuration Utility but no success.

Network adapter's drive is installed properly. I tried to update firmware of router. I tried to repair my wireless network connection but again same problem.

I am really fed up now, does anyone suggest me any solution? I will be thankful.

Thank you in advance,

Answer : Problem: I can't connect to home wireless network

Personally, it doesn't sound like his HARDware is defective... In this case it would be your wireless NIC. If you can connect at times and then can't when you re-boot your moachine its definately a config issue. Try hard-coding your Laptop Wireless NIC (Belkin) MAC address in your wireless router. What type of wireless router are you using? I don't see one mentioned above.
    On another note, for the price you paid for that USB NIC, you could have gotten one for PCMCIA vs. USB. Even though its a Wireless g, typical older model laptops USB port can only handle a throughput of 2Mb/s.  There are 2 things I would consider here:

1) Check to see how the configuration is set on your G/F's laptop and verify your settings match.
2) See if your wireless router is set for WEP encryption. I'm throwing that out there just in case along with setting the link speed negotiation to AUTO in case it can't connect @ G (54Mb/s) speed.

The bottom line is if you connected to this before with the same NIC card, its not your hardware. Check and double check the settings on your wireless router and your NIC are both talking to same configuration.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us