Question : Problem: WinXP Sound: Dev Mgr shows the device, Control Panel Sounds does not see device

Gentlemen,

One of my customers has a computer (Compaq Presario SR1350NX running WinXP Home) that will not produce sound.  The customer reports that the computer stopped making sound about 6 months ago, after the power flickered several times and possibly caused a surge.  The customer replaced the previous sound card (which came w the computer) with this one to solve the no-sound problem, but the no-sound problem is persisting.

An interesting and strange thing is that the Device Manager shows the sound device within the "Sound, video and game controllers" section, but the "Sounds and Audio Devices" within the Control Panel show that there is no sound device.

The customer reports that this a new "fresh out of the box" card.  I have not seen the box, but I have no reason to not accept the report as factual.

The new sound card is the Riviera by Turtle Bay.  

Here's what I've done so far:

- Performed a "clean install, by disabling the AV (Norton) and all optional things from automatically launched the next goot, and rebooted.  

- Reinstalled the sound drivers suppied on the original CD, which completed without report, then rebooted.  The Device Manager sees the sound device "Turtle Beach Riviera", and reports that the device is operating properly.  But the Sound on the Control Panel does not see a sound device.  

- Downloaded the "latest and greatest" drivers from the manuf website.  The install procedure completed without complaint.  I rebooted the machine and checked for the sound devices: the Device Manager shows the presence of this sound card, but the "Sounds and Audio Devices" on the control panel shows "No Audio Device".  Still no sound.

- Note that the sound card Device Usage in the device properties Usage does show: "Use this device (enable)"

- Note that the back of the motherboard does show that it has on-board sound.  I will check that next.

I'm not sure what else to check.

Any and all suggestions are very welcome!

Thank you in advance.

Answer : Problem: WinXP Sound: Dev Mgr shows the device, Control Panel Sounds does not see device

>>  Performed a "clean install  <<   of the drivers? i would try to repiar the os, you can try these :
run sfc /scannow from the run box - or -
a repair install :  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
or even a fresh install + all drivers for the mobo
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us