Question : Problem: IE3/Win95 crashing. Could it be due to BIOS cacheing, new RAM?

I sometimes get crashes in Internet Explorer 3.02 or in Windows 95 (OSR2) telling me Iexplore has performed an illegal operation and must be terminated. It then continues to a blue screen mentioning: A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 014F:BFF9A3C0. The current application will be terminated.
* Press any key to terminate the current application.
* Press CTRL + ALT + DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose all unsaved information in all applications. Press any key to continue.

Of course, nothing can be terminated, successfully. Sometimes it proceeds to a Windows 3.0 style dialog box, saying Explorer caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:00007572. Close button appears but doesn't work.

Sometimes, another Win3.0 dialog box appears saying MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:0000ac69.

After trying to terminate another application, a blue screen came up giving me a fatal exception 0D occurred at 012F:00009572 message.

What is causing this and how can I solve this?

Could it be due to cacheing my video and system BIOS? I think it still crashed without cacheing, but now that I enabled cacheing, it seems to be more frequent.

Also, I installed new RAM (added 32MB to the original 32) a couple weeks ago -- it's possible that I may have zapped a module or two but not likely.

The only current programs loaded in startup are the: ATI desktop help, and DeskMenu.

Can someone offer an explanation or solution?

Answer : Problem: IE3/Win95 crashing. Could it be due to BIOS cacheing, new RAM?

schiu...

Your BIOS settings are O.K., as you are running OSR2 there is no point in blaming windows missing an update.  I would defenitly say from here that you have a Memory problem.

I want you to try the following:

1) Remove your NEW SIMMS and run without them (original 32Mg)
   for a few days
2) Remove the original SIMMS and install the NEW one's instead
   and again try the system for few days
3) If everything is fine they would point to imcompatible set of    SIMMS (you've got to match them) of course match the new ones
4) You could also try to switch banks, like if the original were    for example in bank0, move them to bank1 and install the new    ones in bank0

Just to give you an example, this week we had a mother board that would generate a GPF on all apps when 2x32 SIMMS EDO were installed, now we tested the board with 4x16 EDO and the system worked fine.  Now who can explain the problem here???

Give it a try and let me know what happened.
Regards
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us