Question : Problem: explain this SATA optical  thing to me

I've decided to replace my XP hard drive and demote it to a slave, but there is stuff I've not seen in the box before.  

There is a single optical cable going from the drive to the motherboard (plugged in SATA 2).  A similar cable runs up to the DVD player (SATA 7).  

The back of the HD has jumpers but they are not marked like the old drives (CS, etc.).  However, none of the posts has a jumper on it.  

I understand the old cable select on two connector ribbons.  However, I don't really understand what's going on here.  

There are about 6 empty SATA connectors on the MB.  All are red except the one the HD is plugged into, which is white or buff colored.  

So here are the questions:

1.  What specs should I get for the HD?  
1a.  Do they come with the opti connecting wire for the MB or is that extra?

2.  How do I indicate--I presume with jumpers--that the old HD is now the secondary?
2a. How do I indicate the new drive is master?

3.  Does the color of the SATA connector on the MB have any significance and, if so, what?

Answer : Problem: explain this SATA optical  thing to me

When buying your new hard drive, make sure it is a SATA drive.  Then it will have the correct connector that you need.  These new drives are not connected to the motherboard with an optical connection, but with a serial ATA cable (SATA)  It has 7 copper conductors in it.  There are no longer slave and master settings on the drive as you can only plug in one drive per SATA port.  The port on the motherboard that your current hard drive is plugged into is for the primary SATA device (or maybe the master).  When you get your new drive, plug it into this port, and move your current hard drive to the next SATA port on the motherboard.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us