Question : Problem: What SPECIFICALLY causes the SPEED of data  transfer? -CAT 5, 6, and 7

Ok here is my very specific question.

What ACTUALLY is the root cause for achieving different speeds of data transfer?

for instance, if I purchase a Cat 6 cable, and Cat 6 cables are supposed to give me a speed of 155 Mbps, why is it that when I plug the Cat 6 cable into my laptop and connect to the internet, I'm still getting a data transfer speed of the normal 100Mbps?

WHAT makes the data transfer process SPEED UP?  Is it the actual CABLE or is it the actual switch or cable modem? or is it a COMBINATION of the two?

Since Cat 7 cables are supposed to allow data transfer speeds of 1Gbps what would I ACTUALLY need to do to really see that speed when connecting to the internet - in ADDITION to just purchasing the cable?

Please be very specific when answering.

Thank you kindly.

R

Answer : Problem: What SPECIFICALLY causes the SPEED of data  transfer? -CAT 5, 6, and 7

The cable just transfers the data at whatever speed the network card supports or is supplying it at. Most likely you only have a 10/100Mbps card and that is why you are only transmitting at 100Mbps.

To get Gig speeds you will need at least Cat 5e cable and a network card that supports Gig speeds usually 10/100/1000Mbps cards. Also remember that your internet connection is significantly slower so you will not experience those speeds on the net but just in your local network.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us