Question : Problem: Best solution for wiring two patch panels together in a short distance run?

We have a server cabinet which requires approximatly 16 CAT5e connections to our swith. Our switch is in an open rack about 5 feet away from the server cabinet. Right now we have 16 CAT5e patch cables going directly from the servers to the switch, which obviously is not the best configuration.

I was thinking a good solution would be to put a patch panel in the cabinet, and a patch panel on the open rack with the switch, that way these patch panels could be wired together to create a permanent connection that will never need to be touched again. This would still result in having to run 16 CAT5e cables from point A to point B.

I see on black box they have 25-pair CAT5e's such as this: http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/CAT5e-25-Pair-100-MHz-Solid-Bulk-Cables-UTP-Custom-Lengths/EVNSL16A

I believe these are usually used for phone systems. With all of the cables running from the same point A to the same point B, it would be nice to be able to use one larger "backbone" cable.

What would be the best solution for this? Are there patch panels, solutions that utilize a cable like this: http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/CAT5e-25-Pair-Telco-Connector-Cable-with-Straight-Hoods-50-ft-15-2-m/ELN29T-0050-MM

...so that we wouldn't actually have to terminate all of the wires on each end?

Answer : Problem: Best solution for wiring two patch panels together in a short distance run?

We've used the 25 and 50 pair cat5e cables to do just what you are talking about, however now we simply use regular Cat6 4pair UTP to cross connect patch panels. The 'switch in the rack' is certainly an option but most our racks contain 8 to 10 servers so ports would go unused and the cascade back to the core switch would quickly get saturated. We have 4 racks that contain the patch panels and plant wiring and then we cross connect 24 port patch panels out to the server racks.  An advantage to that is you only have to light up the number of ports that are needed and you can aggregate port density in one spot (saving port usage). Disadvantage of course is all the wires and additional points of failure.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us