Question : Problem: problem working with ibm 16/4 token-ring Pci management adaptor

hi,
i have this 16/4 Token Ring PCI Management Adapter ethernet card.
the problem is it is not detecting network connection after being connected properly to a network hub.

error message - network cable disconnected.

when i try to repair/eneble the connection - error message
connection denied.

i want to know is the card faulty or does it need some configuration as there are many configurable options. as compared to other ethernet cards.

thanks.

Answer : Problem: problem working with ibm 16/4 token-ring Pci management adaptor

Afraid not. Ethernet is a star topology, a hub with many spokes off of it, where token ring is a circle/ring. To avoid collisions in a token ring network, a token is passed around the ring from computer to computer until it completes the circle. Only the computer holding the token can transmit data. Though they can be attached to a hub (called a MAU) the ring topology still applies. Ethernet uses Collision Sense Multiple Access/Collision Detection where anyone can send data, if there are others 'talking' they will stop and wait for a random period of time, and try again. Both use different frame/packet designs and operate at different speeds.
Sorry pretty crude explanation, but bottom line is you will need to obtain an Ethernet card.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us