Question : Problem: Need help setting up 2 Vlans on a 48 port switch to split voice and data

Hi, i'm a newbie to vlans and need help setting it up.

I have :-
linksys 48 port SRW248G4P switch
linksys SPA9000 Voip system with linksys spa400 pbx analogue connection
linksys spa922 phones.
just to make clear we do not use ISTP's..... the spa400 sends voice calls done analogue lines
sonic wall vpn connecting to a second site that has voip and data running down it.

My problem is, when theres too much data traffic the voice on the phones eother drops or becomes quite.

I have been advised to create 2 vlans. 1 for voice, 1 for data. and the linksys tech document is rubbish.

Is it possible to create 2 vlans that split data and voice internally. but at the same time use the vpn at the second site to allow the voip and data system to link into both vlans. Knowing that the sonic wall doesn't support vlans. there are only 4 pc's and 4 voip phones at the second site.

or am i best splitting the voice and data onto separate physcal networks with there own vpn system

another question. what does the following mean in stupid terms on a vlan under port settings.
option are

access
trunking
general

many thanks

Answer : Problem: Need help setting up 2 Vlans on a 48 port switch to split voice and data

What the VLANs will do is reduce broadcast traffic on your network. When you consider SIP and RTP this is quite important. I have deployed many VoIP solutions and this is the standard method used in my deployments. On top of this QoS is added to manage traffic. It is not mandatory to have separate VLANs however it is recommended best practice with all leading vendors. As pointed out above another factor you will need to consider is eliminating broadcast traffic across the VPN link.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us