Question : Problem: Recommendations - DLT vs VXA

We have out grown out DDS3 (12/24) and DDS4 (20/40) tape backup and are in the need for a higher capacity system. I have been using each of these drives to backup different clients/servers - total native capacity is 32GB, 64GB compressed.

I am looking at a Quantum VS160 DLT (80/160) and a Exabyte VXA-2 (80/160).  The capacity and media pricing is about the same.  The Exabyte internal drive is about $900 and the Quantum DLT internal about $1900.

I am looking for anyone familiar with these drives and technologies - comments, recommendations, etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Answer : Problem: Recommendations - DLT vs VXA

bmwisme,

We switched from a DDS3 to a DLT solution a year ago and have had no problems.  At the time I looked a AIT and VXA solutions, but one of the main reasons I fought for the DLT was that VXA (like DDS and AIT) are built on 8mm media designed for audio or video uses NOT for data backup.   We had multiple DDS3 drives, and about once a month at least one of them would jam in loading or unloading a tape... I didn't want to run into the same situation with the new drive.

LTO and DLT use a 1/2-inch linear tape, so there is less chance of jamming.  Compare the following:
  8mm: www.pctechguide.com/15tape2.htm#VXA_technology
  DLT: www.pctechguide.com/15tape2.htm#VXA_technology

You need to look at the amount of data you are going to backup now and in the future, say 1 to 2 years from now.  We went with the SDLT320 drive so we wouldn't need buy new hardware for several years, and to make our Year-End backups user fewer tapes.   It was lucky we did too, a few months after getting the drive we merged with another company and tripled our data backup needs!   How's that for irony?

In fact, we have nearly outgrown our single tape SDLT320 external drive... it's only 1 year old!  I'm currently looking at a multi-tape SDLT loader to replace the single drive.  So be sure to plan for the future.

Rambie
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us