Question : Problem: Backup Exec Exchange Mailbox Error - Security Error

Hello,

I have an issue with Backupexec 10 running on server 2003, and Exchange 2003 sp2.  Occasionally BackupExec will report a failure, but only because a one or two e-mails.  The error looks something like this:

Job ended: Saturday, August 19, 2006 at 6:03:41 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Backup- \\CAM01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file First Last Name [name]Finder᠃8;Unread Maile-mail subject
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file First Last Name[name]FinderUnread Mail e-mail subject
V-79-57344-3850 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

I replaced the name and the subject.  So, backupexec is able to backup everything in this users mailbox but this particular e-mail.  The next day it will usually be fine with no intervention.  It doesn't really seem to be a security issue because it seems to access the rest of the users mailbox just fine, and other mailboxes as well.

I'm wondering the user has this e-mail open at the time of backup, or something like that.  If there's not a way to resolve the issue, I'd at least like to make it so it doesn't report the nightly backup as failed.  Any idea's?

Answer : Problem: Backup Exec Exchange Mailbox Error - Security Error

I used to get the same errors while trying to perform brick level backs of exchange. It was actually on this very forum that I learned of a much faster much easier method.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_21930863.html

Never again will I have to backup mailboxes. I save time on backups and save money on media costs using ExMerge and Recovery Storage Groups in the event of a restore.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us