Question : Problem: Compaq Presario 6000 is driving me crazy!!!!

Compaq Presario 6000 is driving me crazy!!!!  

I have a Comcrap Presario 6000 (Model 6310us) that seems to have overheating issues.  

When I received the computer into my shop for repairs the computer would boot into Windows XP fine and would run for about 1 hour before shutting down.  During the time that the system does run, the system fan and cpu fans are constantly fluctuating the speeds up and down as if they are trying to compensate for some overheating.  The thing that bothers me is that both fans are running way to slow to begin with.  All you have to do is barely touch the tops of the fans to make them slow down to a stop.  Also the power supply fan will kick in and rev up after about 20 minutes after booting up.  This is all while the system is idle.  

I took a look at the motherboard and noticed that it did have some capacitors that look like they had poped.  I figured that the fan speed problems were probably related to a bad motherboard.  Long story short I ordered a replacement motherboard (AM35 Presario 6000 Replacement) and installed it.

After the board replacement the same issues with the fans are still happening.  After the system boots the fans are still running very very slow.  They continue to fluctuate speeds constantly and the power supply fan will begin to rev up.  I have tried also replacing the CPU fan but it still had the same issues that the original was having.  I have also tried a different power supply.  That didn't help.

The only thing I can figure out is that there is some problem with the hardware monitor because of the slow fan speeds.  Can't seem change anything like that in BIOS with Compaq even going through it with F11 to get to hardware monitor changes.  Would like to change the fan speeds to stay at a constant rate.  The last thing I know to try would be another processor.  I was wondering if it's possible if the processor has sustained some damage from this happening for a long period of time and it would cause these problems.  It's running a Athlon XP 1800+.  

I was wondering if anybody has had any of the same experinces with Compaq's like this or if anybody had any other suggestions to try.  Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Answer : Problem: Compaq Presario 6000 is driving me crazy!!!!

Did you look on the hardware monitor at the BIOS. Normally at the start fan voltage is very low on the modern Mobo. Only when processor temprerature go up then voltage go up too. Try to connect fhe fan direct to 12V
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us