Question : Problem: Apple Powerbook damaged screen - fault diagnosis

HI
I have an Apple Powerbook G4 which has been dropped. The screen is physically intact, although one hinge is broken so the screen is attached to the main case at one end only. When it powers up, the display is 'scrambled' flickering horizontal lineswherever there is an image. I've hooked it up to an external display which displays fine. I've opened up the main case and screen casing & 'jiggled' cables, disconnected cables, etc, but no change to the display. Do you think it possible to determine which component is the source of the image problems. As I say the LCD unit itself looks intact.

Answer : Problem: Apple Powerbook damaged screen - fault diagnosis

The LCD screen has to get the signals into the little transistors in each pixel. The signal comes to the screen assembly through the ribbon cable from the mobo, goes through some electronics and eventually enters the screen proper trough the edges by means of a strip-like connector that touches the edges of the screen. If these connector strips are loose or have become upset, you can get that weird flickering. I'm not sure its possible to mend, but I haven't tried it, so....
/RID
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us