Question : Problem: partition hard drive after having installed windows xp

I have installed windows xp, and initially I have partitioned my 120GB hard drive into 40GB, but the other 80GB where left as unpartitioned. How can I get those 80GB and assign a letter to that drive without reinstalling. Thanks.

Answer : Problem: partition hard drive after having installed windows xp

Actually, starting from WindowsXP, Disk Manager is no more a seperate entity. Just go to Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management and then under Storage option you will find Disk Management. Click on that and in the right panel you will have access to your hard drive. You will see the unpartitioned space. Right click on that and make an extended partition spanning all of your remaining space. Once you have made the extended partitions you will have to make logical drives with in that extended partition. In your case, exteneded partition will be 80gb and you can define logical partitions with in this space of any size and you can also assign a drive letter to the new partitions. Ofcourse, you will have to format the new partitions before using them.
Better yet, if you can get hold of PartitionMagic, a powerful tool that assists in Disk Management.
Hope this answers the question.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us