Question : Problem: Blackberry Enterprise Keep Message Duration

I'm trying to decide whether to enforce the IT Policy Keep Message Duration and Keep Saved Message Duration.  It is unclear to me how it works in relation to the users Exchange folders.

Some of my users WILL NOT have access to Outlook.   They will only use the Blackberry.  What I don't understand is if these policies are set, will it only delete messages from the device past the date I set, or will it also sync those deleted with their Exchange folders.  If it doesn't delete from the exchange folders, then i'll have to put a managed folder rule in place to clear them periodically.

Somewhat on the same lines, what happens if a Blackberry user never deletes emails from their device?  I understand it will roll over and start deleting old ones, but does that just affect the phone, or do those autodeleted also get removed from the Exchange folders? (I hope not as I have a different set of user that would NOT want autodeleted items removed from their Exchange folders).

Answer : Problem: Blackberry Enterprise Keep Message Duration

Hi Brian,

- These two IT policies (Keep Message Duration and Keep Saved Message Duration) only applies to   BlackBerry handhelds. It will NOT delete messages on your Exchange Server. These policies are used to force the rollover.
- When missing space on BlackBerry handhelds, the automatic rollover only deleted items on BlackBerry handhelds, NOT on Exchange Server.

- In order to delete messages on your Exchange server, the users have to activate "reconciliation" and
delete message on his device.

In general, The BlackBerry solution doesn't do any "synchronisation" but do "reconciliation". Reconciliation is synchronisation of the actions not the data. Samples : the user delete an e-mail on the device, the BES delete the same e-mail on the Exchange Server.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us