Question : Problem: Ethernet Cat 5e Cabling Standards

I've always been under the impression that there are certain guidelines to follow when installing structured cabling for Ethernet.  Now I know the 100 meter limit, and the different pin-out standards.  However, I've always been under the impression that it is "bad" or "incorrect" or "not to standard" to do certain things like go straight from a wall cable into a switch, for example, instead of going through a patch panel or a modular jack first.  The only problem is that I've never seen this in writing, or what the "official" rules are for properly installing Cat 5e for Ethernet.  The reason I ask, is there is a local cabling vendor, and I don't think they are following the standards for their install, but it is possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone have a link or some basic information of what the standards are for Cat 5e or Cat 6, and what is acceptable and unacceptable to do for cabling?

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Problem: Ethernet Cat 5e Cabling Standards

There are many, many rules for running low-voltage wiring.

When selecting a cabling contractor, make sure they follow BICSI standards at the very least.
http://www.bicsi.org

Your best bet is to ensure they are certified by the manufacturer to install the product, otherwise your cabling warranty is not valid.

You should also ensure you get a copy of all of the cabling test results.

If your cabling contractor is doing none of the above, it's virtually garranteed not to be right.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us